"The Choice is Yours" Video
Adrian Heideman, an 18-year-old
freshman from Palo Alto, Calif., loved life, playing guitar and Pi Kappa
Phi Fraternity at Cal State Chico. His brothers loved being around Adrian for
his contagiously friendly disposition and genuine smile. In the fall of 2000,
however, Adrian and his chapter made a fatal choice during a party for the chapter’s Big Brother/Little Brother ceremony. Adrian died of
alcohol-induced asphyxiation with a blood alcohol level of 0.37.
Adrian and his chapter brothers
were good people who made poor choices. As a result:
- The Heideman family (Adrian’s parents
and three younger sisters) lost their son;
- Pi Kappa Phi lost a promising new
- The Zeta Lambda chapter at Cal State
Chico was closed by the national fraternity;
- The university permanently banned Pi
Kappa Phi from its campus;
- Three members of the student chapter
plead guilty to violations of the California alcohol law and spent 30 days in
- A civil lawsuit was filed against the national fraternity, the local chapter, and the chapter’s student officers.
This eight-minute video, chronicling
Adrian Heideman’s last night is free to members of Pi Kappa Phi on YouTube or on DVD. The DVD also
includes a facilitation guide to spark a chapter conversation. To request a copy of “The
Choice Is Yours” DVD contact
Director of Prevention Education Lori Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org. .